United Church History
(Copied from papers written by former Church Historian June Foster)
The United Church of Bernardston has a history of separating and uniting. This church is a Federation of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the United Church of Christ (U.C.C).
The U.C.C. part of the Federation had its origin way back in 1741. In 1676 the Falls Town Fight occurred between the early settlers along the Connecticut River and the Indians. In 1735 soldiers in that fight, and their descendants, were granted a tract of land by the General Court of Boston. That tract of land was first known as Falls Town Fight Township, later as Fall Town and in 1762 as Bernardston.